Saturday, October 18, 2008

Run, Gerichs, Run!

Hi there! I've been waiting to publish an updated running post until we had our pictures back from the 25K we did in Kailua...and now I have them! The 25K (15.5 miles) was the first of our 3 "readiness" races before the marathon...which will be here in less than two months!!! The race was a good one- beautiful weather, it started at 5 am, which meant a 3 am wake-up call to eat, shower, get there and find parking. I placed 4th in my age group and was really happy about my time- I beat my goal by 4 minutes.

Here's the pictures that they take when we are running...

Robby: http://www.printroom.com/ViewFoundPhoto.asp?evgroupid=54&userid=goprojj&stype=0&sword=545&group_id=54&gallery_id=1312961&image_id=463

(As you can see- he forgot his "glide" (a petroleum product you put so that you don't chafe) because that boy had bloody nipples as he raced into the finish line!!!)

Megan: http://www.printroom.com/ViewFoundPhoto.asp?evgroupid=54&userid=goprojj&group_id=54&stype=0&sword=546&tcount=2&scount=2

Overall, training is going great- it is hard, but I'm loving it. We're up to 19 miles this weekend. Crazy to think that, because before all this- it was really hard to run 3. Really is amazing what your body can do when you push it...or should I say what your mind can do when you finally shut it up!!! (That's probably the hardest challenge...battling your mind always saying "Ouch! Stop! Ouch! Stop!) Robby's body is holding up really well- he's had little back and neck pain which is great news! He's enjoying the runs, but ready for the marathon to get here. Hills are his favorite, and he beats everyone up them...at least I get a nice view. ;)

We have a great running group- the two gals from my office are still running with us even though their initial goal was only to run the half marathon. I think they have the feeling that they've come this far, and already ran 8-9 half marathons in training, they might as well do the whole thing! We joined groups with some other seasoned marathoners who knew someone in our group, so that's been really enjoyable. There's about 10 of us on a regular basis that meet Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday to run. I'm enjoying the social aspect and the challenge of keeping up with guys who have done this 25+ times.

Our next "race" is next weekend. We're doing a 30K, so wish us luck. ;) For anyone who wants to run, but doesn't think it's possible: IT IS! Grab a nice pair of shoes, and get outside- that's half the battle...run for a while- you'll fall in love...eventually.

No comments: