Tuesday, June 28, 2011

18 Months

A year and a half.  We've had the pleasure (mostly) of being in the presence of our sweet Sydney for 18 months now.  What happened to that chubby, bald, immobile, toothless little girl???  She's growing up- turning into an independent, caring, helping, talking, exploring, limit-testing little girl with a scream that will make you cover your ears, or blush with embarrassment when you're out in public.  With the ending of each new phase comes another and the saying "The only thing constant in parenthood is change" is brilliant, true and is what we are living.

She loves trucks and rocks.  There's a book she has that is full of trucks- big rigs, excavators, scrapers, diggers, fire trucks, etc. and it's a favorite.  Initially to make it interesting as I want her to be involved in all things regardless of if they are for "boys" or "girls", I talked about how each truck took the rocks here and there and blah blah blah...and now?...we love the truck/rock book.  It's the best when we're driving and she sees a huge truck and yells "truck!  rock!".  Besides that, she's all of a sudden immediately obsessed with Goodnight Moon....a book she has owned since birth and hasn't bothered to let me read so much as the first sentence (In the great green room...) and now it's the #1 picked book.  She loves pointing out the clock, mouse, and counting the three bears sitting on chairs.

It continually amazes me how much she loves to help.  I'm sure this is true with every kid as they love the over exaggerated "thank you big helper!" comments from parents.  She helps me with the laundry by taking it out of the dryer and pushing the laundry basket to the living room- and then she continues to help by unfolding everything I have folded (it's an exercise in patience) and will then take all the bibs and washcloths to the drawer in the kitchen.  She still loves unloading the dishwasher although I have to rush to take all the glass and plates our first b/c for some reason those are the first to be grabbed.  Each morning when I am ready to do my hair (who am I kidding- I don't do my hair everyday!) if asked, she will go get my hairdryer and brush and bring it to the living room.  When I will let her, she loves to help cook and when I'm in the kitchen she still likes to rumble in her cupboard and pull out measuring cups while saying "cook".  She takes the trash out with Daddy every time and loves to help him push the vaccuum.  She watered the plants with him the other day and wanted him to let her do it all by herself.  She points at herself and says "Sissy, Oh Sissy" implying that she can do it herself.  Speaking of that independence- she will no longer hold my hand down or up the stairs as she insists on doing it herself.  Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  She's recently decided that she doesn't enjoy the baby swings and she'd prefer to ride the big girl swing.  Whaaaaaaaaaa again.






















 Bike rides continue to be a hot topic of conversation and I'm thrilled that she loves them.  I accidentally pinched her putting on her helmet the other day and now she's frightened to death to let me do it again.  Unfortunately, I had to play like there was a GIGANTIC bird in the sky to get her to look up so I could fasten it.  If I ask her if she wants to go on a bike ride she will unfailingly say "Bike ride.  Daddy?"  Speaking of that- we have graduated from "Mama and Dada" to "Mommy and Daddy".  Lately when talking about daddy she will say "Daddy, oh Daddy"...I have no clue where the "oh" came from, but it's ridiculously adorable and I'll keep it.
My favorite is the passed out- mouth open sleep.



















There's no denying she was born in Hawaii.  That girl loves water.  Sprinklers, swimming pools, puddles, fountains, buckets, bath, water cups...you name it, she loves it.  I accidentally taught her how to turn on the bathtub water.  Oops.  We've been battling the 90 degree days by enjoying swimming time at friends and Grandparents' houses.
This totally encapsulates Sydney's "try anything" attitude.

SWEET CHEEKS





























































We went camping a few weekends ago- her 2nd camping trip ever.  We headed to Cascade where the lake was gorgeous, the campground empty and the fire MUCH needed.  After continually telling Sydney to stay OUT OF THE WATER since it was freezing and the weather outside was around 65, I took all her clothes off and just let her go for it.  Big smiles, people...big smiles. 

Before





After





































We're talking about Sydney here, so of course there was a "owie" to be had.  That girl is just like my Grandpa used to be...if he could get hurt doing something, he would...and she does.  She's got a tough little shell though and the hurt doesn't stay for long before she's back trying to conquer what it is that just flipped her, scratched her, stumped her, etc.  I love that. 





















She loves bubbles...and that's where Gramma comes in.  It's so entertaining to watch my Mom with Sydney- she has this ridiculous amount of patience.  She doesn't care if she gets bubble liquid spilled all over- splashed in the face, whatever.  She just likes to see that little girl smile.  I don't have the love for bubbles, or the patience for them either...and that is only ONE reason why Gramma's exist.






















This girl was made for camping...don't you think?

"Nammy" (Sammy) is the comfiest seat in the house.






































This is my life, and I love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, Eleanor is totally in to bubbles also! Here's a must have: Target has this no-spill bubble tumbler for like five bucks. I was so frustrated at bubbles being spilled all the time all over everything! But no more!

Mom XXOO said...

That is seriously the most sweetest post I have ever read except for the last one (and how many others before it). I wanted to just keep reading and reading and reading and reading because it's so fun to read about something we know about but always want to know more about just in case we didn't know. You get that, right? I love her independence -- probably because you were the same and it's fun to see it happen and know you'll figure it out like I did -- and you do and will. You are such a great "mommy" and I love seeing your love pass forward. I love your honesty that some of mommyhood sucks, but you always understand that "this too shall pass" and take it all in no matter what. Keep up the great work! MOM XXO

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Miss Megan Mommy! Hope it is a good one, I will be looking for a blog post on the day's happenin's :D