Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Opihi

My Opihi...allow me to explain. We went to dinner last night with our running friends to "carbo load" for the Marathon that is coming up on Sunday. One of the gals, Akemi, is a jewelry designer and I was lucky enough to get this beautiful necklace from her. It's an opihi pendant.

"An opihi is a "The Hawaiian Limpet" (think barnacle) and are a prized delicacy in the islands, and collecting enough for a lu'au can be a dangerous task. Sure footing, a good grip, vigilance and a sharp knife are essential when picking 'opihi. With a squat, dome-shaped shell, the 'opihi can deflect pounding waves powerful enough to sweep an unwary picker out to sea."

You are probably wondering why I was given an Opihi? Well, because of how hard opihi's cling to rocks, babies are known/called "opihi" because of the way they cling to their mothers. I love it. Is that the sweetest thing ever? So- I have a Sydney Opihi necklace and I might just wear it every single day. Akemi- thanks again and again.

Akemi's website is www.paradisusjewelry.com and you can see all of the other jewelry that she makes!

No comments: