365 good night kisses...365 wake-ups to a sweet smile...365 glances in the mirror and thinking - "whoa, I'm a MOM."...52 weeks of new challenges...12 months of recorded milestones...days filled with laughter, smiles, giggles, tickles and yes, tears...two hearts spilling over with love...and a one year old to thank for all of it. We have a one year old. Weird. I'm not even really sure where to begin.
I remember January 1st, 2010 like it was yesterday. I remember the start of labor, the anticipation as we packed the final things into our bag and headed for the hospital at 2 a.m. I remember the defeat when I found out I was only dilated to a two when we got there. I remember more defeat when the doctor came in 6 hours into labor and told me- "I'll be back to check on you in six hours." I remember us walking the halls at the hospital for 20 hours alone because everyone else was busy having babies in their room. I remember the weak moments when I thought there was no way that I was going to make it, and the reassurance of my husband who knew I could, encouraged me through every contraction, never left my side and traveled through the pain with me. I remember the tears of excitement and encouragement we had when the nurse told me I was dilated to a seven...I ran into the hall (well, maybe walked at a faster pace...not running) and told all the nurses at their station that I was a SEVEN!!! I remember Robby
screaming "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!" as I pushed because the nurse was whispering and I needed some damn gitty-up-and-go juice! I remember the doctor saying - "Look, we're getting everything ready for the baby because you're so, so close. I wouldn't be getting things ready if you weren't going to have a baby in the next two pushes." I remember telling him "Thank you...you're a wonderful doctor" and then looking at my husband and saying- "And you're an amazing husband." only to have the doctor look at me and say- "Well, that's a first...usually the women are yelling at the doctor and the husband!" I remember pushing until I thought I was going to die only to look up at Robby and know in an instant that he had just seen his daughter for the first time. And then? It's a blur. A blur of love, scrunchy skin, tears, little hands stretching up, eyes looking around and amazement.
One year later, it's still a blur of love, tears, amazement and growth. How can she have grown so fast? Why does one year have to zoom by so quickly? Either way- she's one and we're having a BLAST. She learns SO much everyday. We are teaching her sign language and she's picking it up so fast. If you ask her what a lion says she'll tell you..."Raaaaar!" She loves minding commands when you ask her to retrieve items for you, pass them back and forth (between Mommy and Daddy), put them back, etc. Getting chased by Daddy is her favorite. She barely hugs him when he gets home...more like a flirty glance at him and then she's off...cause she's smart and she knows he's gonna be down on all fours chasing her. She is so many things- independent, social, loving, huggable, excitable, cuddly, determined and smart. She understands things and it blows me away. For example- today I was getting our lunch ready and I knelt down and said to her- "Sydney, we are going to have lunch. Can you please go get your bib out of the drawer in your room?" She stood there for a second, walked into the living room...stood there for another second and then what do you know- walked into her bedroom, opened the drawer and pulled out a bib. Me? Blown away. Yeah, ok- so I'm a proud Mom, but this is
my blog and I just feel like bragging about my ONE year old. ;)
I decided to post my favorite picture from each month of her life...which was so extremely hard to do with over 1,000 to choose from. Here goes..
 |
| Six Days Old- The wake up stretch...oh how I miss that!!! |
|
 |
| 2 Months...and the beginning of my OBSESSION with those blue eyes. |
 |
| 3 Months Old- Hello to bubbles, eyelashes and smiles. ♥ |
|
|
|
|
 |
| 4 Months- and still my favorite outfit ever. |
 |
| 5 Months and this picture is still in my top favorites list. The "Pink Ninja"...I love it for two reasons: who can resist the smile and there's only one person creative enough to do this and label it "pink ninja" and that would be her playful Daddy. |
 |
| 6 Months - Can you just see the love transferring between them??? |
| |
| |
|
|
|
|
|
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| 7 Months- yes, people...she's a girl...not a boy with a bow in. |
 |
| 8 Months- the start of EVERYONE getting a wave, riding shotgun in the BOB and crawling. |
 |
| 9 Months and loving life!!! |
|
 |
| 10 Months and the hugs just keep coming...and we are WALKING!!! |
 |
| 11 Months and we've got PIG TAILS!!! |
 |
| 12 Months...and this picture completely encapsulates her playful, excited, adventurous demeanor. |
Her birthday was a pretty laid back day- just the three of us with a nice visit from Auntie Liane. A trip to the beach, a birthday cake and we'll call it a good first birthday!
 |
| Oh, and she can read- did I mention that? Hee hee... |
 |
| "Mmmmm....more shoes to add to my shoe fetish collection...and yes, I do prefer the taste of this leather." |
 |
| The present was great, but the box? Money. |
 |
| Standing on the box and looking at her Daddy for some praise. |
 |
| Sydney's favorite Auntie and our good friend, Liane. Minnie Mouse got tons of hugs and the box was fun to ride in! |
 |
| Off to the beach with some help pushing the heavy BOB. |
 |
| A one year old and her Daddy. There were 3 Japanese tourists taking pictures of the two of them for about 20 minutes as they played. Hmmm...weird? |
 |
| Oops, saw this sign after the visit to the beach. |
 |
| And I present to you- Sydney's 1st Birthday cake. A tower of apple/banana/cinnamon muffins with mashed banana "frosting" and blueberries/blackberries to top it off. BIG HIT. |
 |
| We received zip, zilch, nada, NO emotion as we sung Happy Birthday to her. |
 |
| And no emotion while she ate the cake...she was all business. |
 |
| Could that hair get any more awesome? I love it!!! |
 |
| "TIME!" |
Click
here to watch a video of her eating her birthday cake!
Sydney- continue to amaze us, fill us with love, bring us joy and excite us with your daily explorations, growth
and adventures. Happy 1st of many to come, sweetie!!! WE ♥ YOU!!!
3 comments:
Well, that was pretty fun I must say ... reading labor stories, seeing favorite pics, and the glorious, sugarless, organic cake -- She was sure stuffing it in there! It was pretty funny to see absolutely no emotion -- it showed that logical side of her I talk about ... trying to figure out why you guys were singing to her and making such a fuss. How cute can a one year old get? Pretty darn cute!! Well, the post is beautiful and so witty as is the one year old! Miss you guys. XXO
I agree with your Mom, you're amazing! You guys are doing a great job with little Sydney! Happy Birthday Syd. You're quite the lucky little girl!
Love your post Megan!
Happy Birthday Little Miss! Such great post Megan, sniff, sniff...it goes way too fast.
Post a Comment