The first week was bliss- here's what I did: NOTHING. I sat on the couch and nursed Simone or napped while she napped. My darling husband or my sweet Mom (and others) took care of everything else: taking Sydney out to play, doing dishes, cooking food, vacuuming, laundry, picking up the house, etc. I feel energetically blessed to have had this "down time" to just get to know my baby and let my body recover. They both know how appreciative I am.
Fast forward to Monday, what I call my first "real" day on the job. To sum it up, I have a nice bright red OPI (nail polish) reminder on my bathroom carpet that will never come out but that will serve as a reminder to me that I made it through that first day, and I'll make it through others...and it will kindly remind Sydney that she is NOT to open the nail polish and paint her own toes...or at least I'm hoping it stops her mid thought next time. Yeah right, I know. That Monday and the two days that followed were full of tears, more tears, time outs, screaming (unfortunately), more tears and an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness that it was ever going to get better...as all my insecurities came bubbling out and I was failing at this new two-kid-parent role. As everyone lovingly told me, but while in the moment you don't see it...those days passed and we've been "tear free" for a week. Not because moments haven't been frustrating (and I am not saying the tears won't show up five minutes from now), but because I know now that the moments will pass, we will make it through the day, Daddy will come home at night and everyone will eventually be sound asleep in their beds...if only for a few hours! ;)
I've grown accustomed to a messy house and while that drives me nutty bonkers on the inside, I have quickly realized that while Simone is blessing us with newborn sleep, I have two options: clean the house, or spend quality alone time with my craving two-year old. Some days I have to consciously remind myself that the later is the more important one and the house will get cleaned...someday. And when I listen to my reminder, and after a nice hour and a half play session with Sydney, I look at the dishes and feel fulfilled...happy that I chose to put off the mess and energized to clean it up at nap time when it doesn't take away from her time. And this, my friends, is why it's been two and a half weeks and I just now vacuumed my entire house. (Yes, Robby and Mom had previously done it, but I felt accomplished doing it myself!)
Speaking of Sydney, she's doing better...we had a rough few days...which just so happened to be on my rough days...hmmmmm. She calls Simone "Baby Moan" which Robby and I have started doing. She loves holding her hands, making her do patty-cake, kissing her when she cries and helping to wipe her bum during a diaper change. She is very concerned and upset when Simone poops, spits-up or pees on me. Yesterday I was making breakfast when Simone started to cry in the swing. Sydney went over there and started reassuring her- "It's OK, baby. Mommy will be here in a minute. It's okay, Mommy is coming." Such sweet, big-girl moments like that melt my heart and make me stand back and realize it was just yesterday that Syd was the one in the swing crying. We have our share of "don't touch her face, be gentle, not now-she's sleeping, no- she can't eat almonds, please don't give her that toy, etc" but for the most part, she's good around her...and I'm loving the "Where's baby Moan? I hold baby?" sweetness.
She's taking swim lessons with Daddy, and loving it. She can now climb
out of the pool by herself, jump in by herself and willingly dunk
herself. Her favorite thing to do is watch the divers at the end of
class- and she reassures me that "Sydney do dives when I get older."
| This pictures captures their love- a moment of delight caught in my lens. |
| And yes, that's my daughter gulping the pee, err...I mean pool water. |
Simone is just cherry pie sweet. I can't stop fluffing that brown hair and waiting for her whistle face, which I cannot seem to capture on camera...must just be one of those special Mommy only views for now. She's sleeping good at night...I've had some nice stretches that have left me feeling rested these last few days. I'm trying not to bank on those happening- seems like once you get used to something they change it up on you. She loves being naked and doesn't appreciate it if you put her down when she's cozily trying to hit dreamland in your arms. This has made the baby carriers gold. She nurses like a little champ, and I am so grateful she's a quick nurser like Syd was as there's no time to sit for long...I embellish the long nursing sessions in the evening as I don't feel rushed and just enjoy her pure presence. Syd has asked a few times for a drink of milk, but has never fought me on it when I respond that she's a big girl and gets to drink water.
My Mom took newborn shots of Simone and some ridiculously killer ones of Sydney the other day. Translation: she hauled everything over to MY house and then spent five plus hours with the space heater zooming to keep it warm enough for Simone to be naked and still sleeping...sweating her busy backside off, cleaning up pee and poo left and right and doing "scene" changes every few snaps to get a variety. The outcome was nothing short of mommy-heart-stopping photos of the little girls I get the privilege of calling my daughters. Here are a few of my absolute favorites, and to see more- visit her website here.
In a lot of ways, Simone looks just like Sydney did as a newborn...except with brown hair. Here's a good example- Simone is 9 days old in this picture, and Sydney was 6 days old. What do you think?
![]() |
| Sydney |
![]() |
| Simone |
![]() |
| Simone |
![]() |
| Sydney |
I guess neither girl prefers this pose!








nu=328+%293+4%29;79%29WSNRCG=378;8;756532+nu0mrj.jpg)

3 comments:
Oh, how fun talking a walk through your mind. I love that butt show of Syd -- how funny was that. Lets hope these two girls don't love being as naked when they are older as they do now!!! You know, the more I look at pics of Syd and Simone, I have come to see that Syd had dark hair too -- just not as much as Simone. You think? It's always fun to see your favorite photos and am so glad I can take them for you.
Ok. Baby Moan makes my heart skip a beat. LOVE that Syd came up with it. The picture in the pool is awesome. She is an adventurous girl. So glad that you are getting the hang of it. A bit of sleep makes a BIG difference. Your mom does an awesome job and hopefully I will lucky enough to be on the opposite side of her lens one day.
I am so impressed (and grateful!) that you are finding time to blog! I love hearing all the haps & seeing those STUNNING photos. Gorgeous girls, all of yous. Robby better have a shotgun ready ;)
Post a Comment