Sunday, May 6, 2012

Simone's Story

She's here!!!  After 42 long weeks, we are proud parents of another precious daughter, Simone Olivia.  She was born on Saturday, April 28th at 7:53 am.  Weighing 8.2 pounds and 22.5 inches long.  YES!  She's LONG!!!  Here's her story!  (And I'm going into detail...so there's my warning!)

As ready as we all were to meet her, I don't think the feeling was mutual...she was determined to stay snuggled up in her womb until the last minute!  It was an emotionally challenging time for me...trying to stay positive, relax and trust that my body had a game plan as my due date came and went...as 41 weeks came and went...and as 42 quickly approached.  Saturday (28th) was our last day to be able to deliver at the Birthing Center, so if there was no active labor by then, we were headed to the hospital on Sunday for some induction options.  Wanting to avoid that plan, we opted to try a conjunction of membrane sweeping and herbal induction to see if we could get the ball rolling.  On Friday the 27th we went to the Center around 2:00 to start the process.  At the start I was dilated to a 2, and at the end of the 3 hour ordeal I was a 4.  The herbal induction (known as Black and Blue Cohosh) is a root extract that when used together encourages uterine contractions.  Encouraged that contractions were coming at regular pace, but trying not to get overly excited as we went into this knowing that it was a mild form of induction and my contractions would either build, stop or stop and then restart...we headed out for a date.  We went to dinner and a movie...and while my contractions were getting stronger on the way into the movie and my bloody show was starting, I still insisted we go.  I figured if we went home I would just sit on the couch and wonder when/if we were going to go into labor and then think of all the aftermath if we didn't....so, better to just get my mind off of things! 

It was 10:30 by the time we arrived home and we hit the sack.  So much for getting any sleep (although I was happy happy happy to trade off sleep for labor pains at this point!) because I was up at 11:30 because the contractions were strong enough that I didn't want to lay down.  I finally woke Robby around 12:30 and we continued to labor at home.  As much as I tried not to, every pain in this labor was compared with that of Sydney's labor (how can you not if that's all that you know???) and I was sure that things were moving faster than they did with her.  Or perhaps I was just wishing them faster at this point as Syd was a 22 hour labor and I was begging not to have that again!  Robby had our Bradley book out and was trying to determine the stages of labor and keep me calm.  I could see him taking notes during my contraction- especially when I complained about sitting on the toilet, wanting to undress and not being able to find a position that I really felt good in.  Around 3:30 when contractions were 2-3 minutes apart he looked at me and said- "I think it's time to call Kelly" (our midwife that was on call).  After two minutes of talking and telling Kelly the "notes" I heard her interrupt and say- "Robby?  I think you should come in.  I'll be there in 20 minutes."  I don't know if things just picked up at this point spontaneously or because of the response Kelly gave us, but it immediately felt like I could do NOTHING in between a contraction...brush teeth, change shirts, go pee...they seemed to be coming quicker which only made me panic inside. 

The drive was uneventful thanks to the smooth roads that we have in Boise and we were at the Center by 5:00.  I immediately climbed into the tub looking for some relief.  To my disappointment (having never labored in a tub before), the water didn't take away my pain- it only made the relaxation in between contractions easier...and it also slowed me down.  I noticed they were spacing out and asked the midwives if getting out would speed things up.  They suggested I sit on the birthing stool (my goodness what an uncomfortable gadget) as sitting was my least favorite laboring position which meant that was probably the position that progressed me the quickest.  They were right- contractions were back to 2 minutes almost immediately. After some time on the stool, some time in bed and an exam that confirmed I was an 8...which I should have been thrilled about as it had only been 7 hours by now, I couldn't find joy in the progress.  I was so convinced that this labor was going to be long like Sydneys, and with the way it was progressing I starting second guessing my ability to naturally birth this baby!!!  How could I keep up with this intensity of pain for another 15 hours???  Looking back, had I let this fear go my experience would have been much more pleasant, pain and all.

The midwives sent me outside for a 7:00 breath of fresh air.  I have no idea what people driving by thought of Robby and I as I was pieced together in pajamas, coats and blankets (it was chilly!) and was continually having him hold me up as if I was going to pass out.  If they didn't know we were a couple in labor, they probably thought I was seriously drugged.  Who cares- the birds chirping, the dew on the grass, the quail running around and the smell of morning were welcomed as I tried everything I could to concentrate on anything but the pain.  We decided to head back inside as soon as I got an urge to bear down during a contraction.  The midwives ears perked up as I grunted and we all went into the room.  Sitting on the birthing stool again I was examined and while I was a 10, there was a lip of cervix left so I was asked to NOT push through 3 contractions.  If you've ever experienced the pain associated with not being able to push when every twinge in your body wants to, then you are probably sympathizing with me right now.  Somehow I made it through and on the 4th contraction I pushed...and my water broke all over the floor.  HOORAY!!!  This was something to be excited about as in the back of my head I knew this STILL needed to happen.  We moved to the bed so I could push while laying on my side and 8 long, painful, slow-motion, amazing minutes later, the midwife told me to reach down and feel my babies head.  Once her head was out I remember these next 8 words clear as day; "Megan, reach down and pull out your baby."  It was awkward pulling out a baby while trying to push, but what a beautiful, original and unforgettable way to meet your baby for the first time.  After a few moments it dawned on me to see who it was- Simone or Oliver, and actually...I told Robby it was a boy.  I saw the swollen vulva and thought it was a scrotum, but then after searching for a penis with my hands I reconfirmed that Simone Olivia had just walked into our lives.  With lungs of steel and a sweet mound of dark brown hair, we fell in love with this new addition. 


I cannot begin to describe the encouragement, support, cheer leading and love that my husband gave me every minute of every hour.  The midwives gawked at the fact that he changed pads, caught pee/poo (yes...it happens...just not in the movies) and was an active participant the entire time while never being asked to do any of it.  They offered him a job and said that one of the most beautiful things from their point of our labor was watching us work in unison, so comfortable with each other and our bodies.  I am overflowing with pride for the husband I have and the Daddy the girls are privy to. 

We left the Birthing Center by 11:00 and were home in bed by noon.  It was an odd feeling coming back to the house after only leaving a few hours prior with a baby.  It's amazing how something you wait for so long is here in an instant.  I am so pleased that we were able to birth at the Center and with the wonderful midwives that we got to know and enjoy over the course of our pregnancy.  What an amazing group of women who are incredibly devoted and talented at what they do. 

Where was Big Sister Sydney during all of this excitement?  Luckily, with some foresight we had asked Gramma and Grampa to keep her overnight in case the induction took- that way they wouldn't have to drive out to Eagle in the middle of the night!  It was so reassuring to know that she was in good hands so that we could concentrate on labor and meeting our new baby.  We called after Simone had arrived and asked that they come to the Center to meet...and yes, I kept the gender a secret until they arrived!  Sydney was a bit reserved and wanted Daddy & Gramma to hold her the majority of the time.  She didn't hesitate at all when I asked her if she would like to go back home with Gr/Gr- she barely gave me a kiss before making it out the door.  She adores them.

A week later, and it feels like Simone has always been with us.  I am soaking up every minute of nursing, cuddling, sleep faces (which are my favorite...pursed lips, frowns, smiles)...even her cry which I've heard very little of (I am aware this could all change overnight!) is the sweetest sound.  She is a clone of Sydney, except with dark hair and a darker skin tone.  When she's laying on my chest and I look down I am immediately taken back to the first week of Sydney's life sitting on my lanai in Hawaii looking down at my new baby.  I can't believe that little baby is now almost 2 1/2 and is a big sister.  Considering this change is anything but little, Sydney has adapted well.  Of course she is acting out in ways she didn't before- but overall, I think it is minimal. She is adorable with "Baby Moan" and immediately runs to kiss her if she hears even a whimper out of her.  "UH OH!  Baby's crying!"  We have to watch her closely as she loves to cover her up with blankets (thankfully all the talk of not covering up baby's face is paying off) and enjoys sharing her toys with her.  Holding hands is her favorite thing to do and we are trying not to say "careful" with every move, but it's hard not to...especially when I know her intentions are good.

Now that you've read all that jib jab, here's the fun part:


"It's a boy!  No!  It's a girl!"



Daddy weighing Simone.

First introductions!
Getting my snuggle on- I love this girl!!!



Milk coma


LIPS


Loving the fro-hair!

She's 1.5 inches longer than Syd was at birth.  Like someone said- we make tall kids!


















I'm overwhelmed with giddiness at the fact that we have two girls...just feels right, and I think I'm thrilled that Sydney has a sister- something neither of us got to experience.  I have a ridiculous amount of sweetness going on over here.  ♥

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story! *sniffle* She's so beautiful, too! I look forward to meeting her- my summer starts in just three weeks and we're excited to visit some new parks!

Anonymous said...

That was Angela, BTW.

The Higgs said...

LOVE that you made time to blog. You are an amazing mommy even when you don't feel like it. There will be ups and downs but never doubt that you are nothing short of amazing. My favorite pic is the 1st one as it captures that moment of the most intense pain of your life changing into the most beautiful moment of your life. She is beautiful like her momma. Congrats again my friend.

Unknown said...

Megan! I am in tears over this beautiful account. I am so grateful you put words to all this & shared it with us. Your family is full of light & love & it shines through even the interwebs. Simone is a lil stunner already & that dark hair! I am smitten! Congrats to you all, know that I am green with envy ;)

The Dewey Family said...

OMGosh Megan, Congrats again to you and your beautiful family!! Having 2 girls is such an amazing experience that I wouldn't change for the world!! You will be happy to know that I'm working VERY hard to get a few pictures and "important" posts up on the blog and am also going to work VERY hard to keep it updated!! I love you, miss you and can't wait to meet Simone.

mom said...

When I read this the first time I was probably tired and knew I would have to come back ... and see, I did, just now. It was exciting to read the story again and let my mind imagine you and Robby every step of the way (while trying not to invision some things like the poo.) I have to say the visual of water gushing must be the strongest wondering all the while "who gets to clean that mess up?!" I loved the close-up of Simone's hand, lips and nose. You do a great job at photos ... if you only had a better camera think what you could do! Better put that on your Wish List to give ... your husband! Simone will appreciate this story when she's older and keep up with it so I can make her first year book. Be sure to send any special pics you take my way via Snapfish. I have to be organized to complete these projects so help me out however you can with your pics. Love you, love this story. MOM