I've been purposely NOT making biscotti these last few days because really- I have NO will power and I feel as though every biscotti I eat will go to the baby's head size and then, well....you know...it's gotta come out somehow. BUT, I couldn't resist any longer and caved last night. Not just some recipe I picked up from the internet or some Betty Crocker cook book...my Grandma Jo's Biscotti Recipe. It's so freaking good I would only be doing a disservice to all of you wonderful blog readers not to share it. You know how when you eat 5 cookies you get that voice in the back of your head (or the sick feeling in your gut) that tells you- "Whoa, slow down, mama...that's 5 cookies!" Yeah, well there's no biscotti sensor- so a batch doesn't last long around here.
Give it a try, let me know what you think...do you have a biscotti sensor?
You'll need:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups flour
3 eggs
1 T almond extract (no, you cannot skip this and you may not sub with vanilla!)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup granola (my favorite to use is Pumpkin Flax by Nature's Valley...but anything works)
1 cup slivered almonds
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and almond extract and mix well. Add flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and mix. Fold in granola and slivered almonds.
Next divide the dough in half and roll into to long logs- about 10" long by 2" wide- or about the length of the cookie sheet. (You'll need flour on your counter to prevent sticking.) Once you have laid the two logs on the cookie sheet (I put parchment paper on my cookie sheet to make cutting/flipping easier), gently press them down with your hand so they are flattened to about 3/4-1". The log will now be two oblong pancakes. (Hmmm, should have taken a picture of this!)
Bake on 350 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and drop temperature to 275. Slice biscotti so it's 1" thick and turn on it's side. Bake for 10 minutes, flip biscotti to other side and bake 10 minutes more.
Oh, and I promise your belly won't get THIS big after you eat a batch!
| That would be SARCASM, folks. |
2 comments:
Thank you for this post. I sometimes don't know how you are really thinking about it all, so this helped. I figured you had to be over-thinking it all and be a bit concerned, but you are really good about "chilling out" already. My heart sinks a little more each day for you having to wait, but the wait does eventually have to come to an end. You know I am praying for the very best outcome. Everything will be just as it was somehow meant to be, even without necessarily understanding it. Love you! You make wonderful babies, and this one will be no exception! I can't wait to meet him! (Wink) Love Mom
Loved the update! I know it is worse for you but I was dying from the wait ;) My first 2 boys were overdue, Parker 6 days & Kaleb 2. I think the wait with Kaleb was more disheartening for me though- I expected him early, too but I will say, when he was ready he SHOT outta me, did not even wait for the Doc. Sorry, TMI. Best wishes, friend. I am so thrilled for your growing family.
Post a Comment