Daddy came and I was excited to see her moves. All the parents gathered around on the side and class started. And then my daughter did what I KNEW she would do. She got shy from all the extra eyes, started sucking her fingers, putting her tutu in her mouth, standing against the wall and refusing to participate. I knew that this would happen, and I still ended up annoyed. I'm not going to bypass this truth, because it was a huge reality check for me. How sad that I was taking away the enjoyment of my daughter's first 'recital' because I was too proud to have her not behave and do everything else like the other little girls? After my husband gave me a much needed and gentle attitude check, I snapped out of it. I love this about us- how we can honestly tell each other when to shape up. There are four incredibly endearing moments that I will take away from the day...
1. At one point, while everyone was dancing- Sydney laid down in the middle of the floor and started sucking her thumb. Later on Robby would point out that this is the only time in her life that she'll feel comfortable doing that. She had no reservations, no inhibitions that made her wonder what everyone would think. Pure innocence.
2. She repeadely told Robby that she only wanted to do her battements and criss-cross-apple-sauces, not the rest. Therefore, she participated in those things.
3. She flashed me goofy faces throughout the times she was participating.
4. She can't WAIT to go back next week...with an understanding that "Mommy, I want you to stay downstairs." I don't blame her.
At the end of the day- I don't much care that she can perfectly do a battement, a plie, or jete...I just want her to learn how to listen in a group, interact with other children her age and most importantly- have fun. On that note, I think we're succeeding.
| Goofing with girlfriend Natalia |
| Running to the safe haven that is Daddy. |
| Melt me...Daddy doing plie's with her. |
4 comments:
How stinkin cute is that dance outfit!!?!
SO cute in that dance get-up! Thank you for posting something that made me so very glad I do not have a daughter! You are looking at that Dance Mom freak over here-yikes! Good work leaning on your man and finding the true joy in it all :)
Well, I HAVE been missing out on your blog posts ... must check my RSS again. So stinkin' cute this girl in that black leotard. I can't tell you how much I love the shot where the girls are sideways and you have Syd's face. I loved your write-up and you hold each of us to a new level of acceptance and honesty. Love you and Robby for all of it. Not many moms and dads would see it your way. :-)
Those first scones looked so amazing. You have been a busy daughter with the house redecorating and painting and the baking. You go girl!
Praise to you for snapping out of it so quickly! I get hot about stuff like that too, but handle the attitude checks less gracefully - even though I know he's right. Btw I love the b&w pouty picture!
Post a Comment