Friday, December 19, 2014

China: Last Thoughts

While in Beijing we also got to squeeze some other historical sites in as well.

Tiananmen Square is a large city square that separates Beijing from The Forbidden City.  It is the fourth largest city square in the world.  Outside of China, its best known  as the focal point of the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 where a pro-democracy movement was ended with the declaration of martial law by the government and shooting of several hundred or possibility thousands of civilians by soldiers.  The crazy part of all of that is that Chinese civilians didn't know about the shooting until YEARS later when there was leaking of it by the government, and to this day no one really knows how many people were killed.  To take it further, the government erected this large monument honoring those who died in the movement.  (If you're looking for honesty, it reminds me of The Hunger Games and what the Capital did to District 13 to remind others not to mess with them.  Just sayin'.)








We also visited the site of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.  It was cool to see the "Birds Nest" pavilion and just walk around empty streets that were created just for the big event. 

Michael Phelps big year was made in this bubble of wonder.
It took a LOT of pictures to get us both in the air!






































The last night in Beijing Laura convinced me to try peking duck- a famous duck from that has been prepared since the imperial era.  Meat is prized for its thin, crisp skin, with authentic versions of the dish serving mostly the skin and little meat, sliced in front of the diners by the cook. Ducks bred specially for the dish are slaughtered after 65 days and seasoned before being roasted in a closed or hung oven. The meat is eaten with scallion, cucumber and sweet bean sauce with pancakes rolled around the fillings.  While I didn't prefer to eat it like a pancake with the fixings and I really didn't prefer the skin (which you were supposed to dip in sugar) I didn't mind the meat- it was more like dark chicken meat and now I've tried it and I'm good if I never have it again.
The menu was extensive- could have been an encyclopedia.

Duck tongue- we skipped on this one!

Cheers, friend!

Carving of the duck
After eating a meal that my seven week old pregnant belly didn't necessarily feel up for, but rallied, we went to the night market and got to enjoy watching people eat scorpions and all sorts of other random creatures.  The scorpions are skewered live and are left to wiggle to death or luckily have you purchase them so they can be quick fried for 30 seconds and then eaten.  I skipped this adventure.
Walking to dinner.

There were random groups of people dancing on the streets, so I joined in!
Squid
Trite
Some lizard thing.
I got a video of this guy taking down this massive scorpion.  I still can't stomach to watch it.
Locusts, crickets, grasshoppers and silk worms


We headed to a local market/grocery store to grab some water for our trip and some fruit for the train ride home.  I don't consider myself a germiphobe, but perhaps I am.  Whilst in the store I witness people hand choosing their meat, bagging it and then continuing on their way (without wiping meat juice off) pushing their carts to the produce section to pick and choose fruit.  I gagged and couldn't wait to get back to the hotel to wash my hands!!! 
Where's the BBQ???
"I think I'll just pick up this dead, unrefrigerated rabbit right here with my bare hands"  --said no one in America EVER.

















On my final trip to the airport, Laura took me on the Maglev- which is a train that hoovers over magnets to allow it to go 260 mph.  Needless to say we got there in less than 10 minutes and I screamed loudly when another maglev going the opposite direction passed us.  The things China has come up with are astonishing.

There are so many people to thank.  Laura for making this trip WAY more than I expected and keeping my curious mind swindling the entire time and for the amazing friendship we have.  For uprooting your schedule and finding sitters so that we could go adventure this crazy place on our own.  Chris and the girls for accepting me into their home, picking up where we left off and making me feel so welcomed and loved.  My Grandma Jo, Mom and Elli for helping Robby out with the kids while he balanced a bit of work and a bathroom remodel for his Mom while I was gone.  And mostly to my ridiculously supportive, loving and adventurous husband who rallied me the entire way.  His enthusiasm for my enjoyment and experiences cannot be faked.  He's the most selfless, giving person I know and in all 11 days I was absent he never once complained about it.  I enjoyed every minute away because that's the gift he gave me- to have fun, seize the opportunity before me, waste no time worrying about them and be in the moment.  Thank you, love.  I love you all!!!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Oh Megan, while I am reading these in backwards order, and just read the last post first, a few things made me laugh. 1-Dancing in the street: Your version looked a bit how-downish compared to what the others were doing. 2-The caption on the raw rabbit was priceless, and 3-The
Maglev and that you screamed when another passed you by. I don't remember you telling me how fast they are. Whoosh! That's fast. Fun posting!

hubby said...

It was awesome seeing and hearing about your trip. What amazed me the most wasn't all of the history, it was the weird food, seeing how they sell their meats and how people handle it. I'm glad you had such a great time! Love you!