We tried for 7 long months to get pregnant with baby Gerichs #3. I know that sounds like nothing to some of you who tried effortlessly forever to get pregnant and I have a whole new empathetic understanding for you. It's downright frustrating, defeating, exhausting, annoying, worrisome and unnerving to not get pregnant when you want to. Sydney took 3 months, Simone took 1 and so naturally I thought #3 would be a breeze. When we did finally get pregnant, we told our families on a Sunday night only to have me wake up bleeding on Monday morning with a miscarriage. It was a hard couple of days but the success stories and sympathy stories about others who had experienced the same thing were abounding and so supportive. I was 8 weeks when I miscarried, so while I wasn't "attached" to my baby yet, it was still hard to hear the words at the Birthing Center when they couldn't locate a heartbeat. It made it all the more hard that our girls were there with us and I couldn't contain the tears. Robby tried to explain as best he could to Sydney who was very aware that something was wrong. She replied; "but Mommy, you're still happy, right?" She asked about it for a few days, making comments here and there about the baby and how would I know it wouldn't happen to the next one?
We amazingly got pregnant that very next month, and the experience was still very fresh in her mind as well as ours. She was certain this baby was going to also die and had a hard time getting excited about, as I think Robby and I did. I had my confidence in my body and baby compromised and now that we were pregnant again, I didn't have a naïve perception that things were just going to be fine because that's what they always were. Week 8, 9, 10 and 11 came and went and then week 12 smacked me upside the head. I had returned from a walk with the girls only to have some cramping and while going to the bathroom start dripping blood. I called Robby in hysterics and then the midwife who gratefully got me in that very day for an ultrasound. My Mom came over in a heartbeat to stay with the girls and I somehow managed to drive my blurry eyes downtown convinced that I was going to be told I miscarried again. Robby met me there and Paula, our midwife, pulled up the ultrasound picture. To my surprise a little baby bounced around. The overwhelming relief of that second in my life still brings tears to my eyes. I couldn't believe what I was seeing...a perfectly healthy, bouncy 12 week old baby.
Paula measured me and it was coming up 14 cm, 2 weeks bigger than I should have been. Intuition told her something was up, so she had us go into another room with an ultrasound specialist who had a much nicer machine to check things out. Sure enough, I was measuring big because I had a Subchorionic Hemorrhage. Simplified that means a pool of blood trapped between my uterus and the amniotic sac. Risks of placenta abruption, premature labor and miscarriage screamed at me and I was told to take it easy- no picking up kids, no exercise, etc. I did pretty good for 2 weeks, and then I looked up what it actually was and the risks associated and then I was a hot mess. My Mom thankfully took my advice and didn't look it up, so she remained an un-worried support, which was much needed and appreciated. We got to have another ultrasound at 12, 13, 15 and then 19 weeks to track the progress of my clotting and ensure that the hemorrhage was shrinking. While the hemorrhage was greater than 50% of the sac, it refused to go near my placenta which made all the difference, as had it gone under the placenta it would have tore it off of my uterus, causing a miscarriage. God really was watching out the whole time. At the 13 week ultrasound we were pretty sure there was a little Cole in my belly and it was confirmed at the 19 week ultrasound. I think I'm still in shock that we're having a boy. Probably b/c I can't imagine anything other than girls since that's what we have and also because I'm so FLIPPING excited to be able to experience mothering a boy!!! We had the name picked out long ago. When we got pregnant with Sydney, we loved the name Cole Isaac. We talked about Cole for 5 years, so it only made sense to name him that! The girls refer to him as Baby Cole.
At 24 weeks the midwives gave me the go-ahead on all activities but I remained cautious. I knew I wouldn't forgive myself if I went overboard and something happened to him, so I went back to the gym, but took it easy and lifted the girls rarely at first. This was hard as Simone is still my baby and holding her was a normal activity. Even Sydney missed it, but was overly concerned when I was able to once again carry her. "Mom! I don't want you to get hurt!" Bless her concerned heart- she's such a sweet spirit. The girls are super excited to have a brother coming, and at first Sydney was concerned that I might not know that he will indeed have a penis, and that will probably make diaper changing messy. Sydney thinks she'll be able to hold him standing up and walk up and down the stairs with him. Simone just knows he's going to drink Mommies milk. It should be a fun and interesting adjustment for everyone!
It's been a different pregnancy for certain. The miscarriage beforehand and the hemorrhage during definitely effected my excitement level. I am sure I was trying to "protect" myself incase anything happened to him, which is silly because you don't, can't prepare yourself if something would have happened more full term. I'm continually thanking God that things worked out, I have a healthy little boy in my belly and we're almost ready to meet him. I had my doubts that things would go this far and this well. While Robby remained optimistic, I think that was mostly to keep me from going too negative. He's got an unshaking faith in God that I envy and I can't imagine a better partner to go through this all with. He's elated to have a little boy on the way and I can't wait to watch him raise a young man. He's not even here yet, and our family feels complete. I certainly wasn't done when I was pregnant with Simone, but I feel very fulfilled and satisfied with the family we've made. Now, let's get through labor and meet this little trooper.
![]() |
| 12 Weeks. The really white fuzzy below Cole is the blood pooled in my uterus. |
![]() |
| 13 Weeks |
![]() |
| 15 Weeks |
I finished his room, even though he'll be in ours for the first few months. There's just something about having it done that makes me sigh in relief. Robby has been crossing projects off left and right and I've been busy making freezer meals and trying to catch up on this blog!
I took pictures weekly with Sydney, monthly with Simone, and all of three or four with Cole. My husband warned me of this- he has always said that my well intended efforts will decrease when we have more kids. I always argued with him, but really- he knew most- he's the youngest of four. So honey- YOU'RE RIGHT. (That doesn't happen all that often, and especially not while I'm pregnant...so he can't say it NEVER happened. Haha!)
![]() |
| 18 Weeks |
![]() |
| 31 Weeks |
![]() |
| 37 Weeks |
My sister-in-law, Leah has gone through this entire pregnancy with me step by step as she is due with her own boy THREE days before me. It's been so fun having her to talk with and experience all the same things at the same time. I'm so excited to be having a nephew born when Cole is so they'll have each other...what fun days we have ahead of us! My Mom generously took maternity pictures of us at 38 weeks. I still can't believe it's gone so fast and that they're almost here.
![]() |
| Cousin Hannah, who is 10 weeks younger than Simone. |
![]() |
| LOVE THIS. |
![]() |
| AND THIS. |
![]() |
| Ok, this too. |
![]() |
| I love Daddy, too. |
Thanks to all of you who have been so supportive and available through all the drama, tears, excitement, worries, celebrations and changes that this pregnancy has been for me. I love each and every one of you!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
%2B(1024x576).jpg)
%2B(1024x576).jpg)
%2B(1024x229).jpg)
%2B(576x1024).jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
5 comments:
For some reason while reading this my allergies started to flare up,go figure. Love you Meg
So happy to hear the story. I love you, Friend. Prayers for a safe delivery and healthy baby.
What! Dad posted! Glory be! :-) So, now I have to hurry and catch up on the last of my edits because now that YOU are nearly caught up, Cole will be coming any day (or week) now. Oh, how I know how you hate that, and oh how shocked I will be if you come earlier. This post was beautiful and raw and loving and honest. You do so well with your words Megan and your girls and Cole will so appreciate this one day.Thanks for the kind words for your folks along the way. All you say and more right back at ya. Looking forward to meeting that handsome new g-babe of mine real soon. Love you, Mom
Cute! (think of it like "ditto" from the movie Ghost. Its one word that says so much more than you think. Once you go deeper you realize how complete and wonderful it is.) But, if that doesn't work - maybe this will. Thank you for caring enough to preserve these memories with pictures and your words. You do a phenomenal job! Keep it up, I appreciate all of what you do. Love you (first, most, and last)!!!
Praise the Lord. I enjoyed reading how your pregnancy went. The pictures were great, especialy Big sisters Sydney and Simone.
Stephen Gerichs.
Post a Comment