Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Rough Day

Ugh...today was the day that every brand new parent dreads...the beginning of vaccines. Yeah, I know- it's good for the baby in the long run, but try telling me that as the nurse is stabbing her with needles and she is screaming a new scream...one I haven't heard before and looking at me with soaking wet eyes as if to say- "Mommy! Make it stop!!!" Needless to say, it broke my heart and I cried right along with her.
So our little sweetie is two months old and well, she doesn't exactly look like a two month old. She weighs 12.3 pounds which puts her in the 80th percentile for weight. The nurse came in and measured her and the first thing that I saw was Robby's mouth drop as he was watching the measuring tape. 25.5 Yes. 25.5 inches long. The nurse left and about 3 minutes later came back in the room. "I'm going to just re-measure her" she said. Yep...25.5 inches long. The doctor comes in and goes - "Well, she's off my charts" which meant that I asked "So what percentile does that put her in?" to which he replied- "I don't have a percentile, she's off the charts...there's no mistaking who her parents are!" When I got home I looked the growth charts up. In order to be in the 95th percentile for height at this age you have to be 24 inches long. OH MY GOSH no WONDER she's always hungry! I would be hungry too if I was growing like a mad woman! I told Robby he didn't need to worry about her getting a boyfriend anytime soon- all the boys will be shorter than her! :(
Here's a picture of her little friend Helaina who is 13 days younger than her...it definitely puts Sydney's length and weight in perspective!!!

Anyway, things are going great. She's just adorable...starting to find her voice, her smile is more and more frequent and she actually held onto her rattle for 2 minutes today and played with it. I'm having so much fun being home with her and watching her grow. This week she found her fist and she LOVES it. She talks only when her fist is in her mouth. Take out the fist- the talking stops. Fist back in mouth- talking begins.

Sleeping is going really well- I always get at least 5.5 hours for the first stretch and then 3 and then 3 or 4 and then it's playtime...she's so happy in the morning. Usually Robby is still here so he gets to play with her a bit while I catch another couple minutes of zzz's or go make some much needed coffee. Some nights when I'm really tired it's hard to embrace the midnight feeding, but I already know that one day I will miss this quiet snuggly time with her when all the world is sleeping and I'm holding my world in my arms.

Tomorrow is Friday and that is my favorite day...it means we get to have Daddy to ourselves for 2 whole days and I just love that...it's fun to have Robby see what she's like in the day instead of always at night and in the morning...and it means that I get to change significantly fewer diapers. ;) Nah, it isn't that bad- her happiest times are usually when she's on the changing table!

Have a WONDERFUL weekend!!!

2 comments:

The Dewey Family said...

OMGosh she's adorable!! I have a box of stuff that I'm going to hopefully get mailed to you this week, if I don't hurry up the stuff won't fit her the rate she's growing!! Hope you had a great weekend, talk to you soon.

Unknown said...

I hated the vaccines too. They forget easy though, the kindergarten ones are the worst. You have awhile before then though. :) She is such a cutie, when does she get to come to Idaho?