Thursday, September 9, 2010

Scoot over, Julie & Julia...

It's Megan & Ruta now. I love cooking. I love making new recipes. I love when the new recipes not only look as good as the pictures, but taste delicious. I love using tons of spices, herbs and ingredients. I love all of this until I embark on a huge meal and then I wonder what in the hell I've gotten myself into.

I love Indian food. The way they make the eggplant, potatoes, rice and beans taste like heaven has been a mystery to me. So, I purchased an Indian food cookbook. "5 spices, 50 dishes" by Ruta Kahate. The mission of the book is to provide meals that only use 5 spices (coriander seed, cumin seed, mustard seed, cayenne & tumeric) and deliver tastes that will fool those eating that you slaved in the kitchen all day.

I present to you meal #1...

1. Spicy Eggplant & Tomatoes
2. Spicy Seared Shrimp
3. Lentil-Rice Pilaf
4. Crunchy Cucumber Salad with Crushed Peanuts
5. Roasted Onion Raita
6. Thalipeeth (skillet bread)

All in all, it was a great meal. Not sure why I felt it necessary to try SIX new things in one day, but I was so excited about all the delicious sounding recipes that I just decided to try a whole bunch. Oh wait, yes I do...cause I read this: "According to the principles of Ayurveda (an ancient science), a balanced meal should contain six tastes- sweet, sour, salty, bitter, astringent and pungent - and a variety of textures and food groups." I might as well have been trying to make stuffed duck or beef bourgogne. (BTW- if you haven't seen Julie & Julia- I highly recommend. Cute stinkin' movie.)

It was pretty darn spicy (especially the eggplant & tomato which sported an entire teaspoon of cayenne). I asked Robby what his favorite was and he was commenting on how he liked all of the different flavors, and that the eggplant was delicious, but hot. I asked- "Was it like a party in your mouth?" He responded; "More like a fist-fight."

Oh, and I didn't have to fool them that I'd been in the kitchen all day...I had.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meg, wowza! Eggplant? I never even looked at one for more than a second before. Good for you. So Shayna just stopped by and asked if I had seen your blog update yet. I was reading it then. She is now looking for the book since she loves to cook and they love Indian Food. You two will have to share your favorites with me. Keep it up! Love you! Mom

Unknown said...

Yum! Yum! Yum! We are coming for dinner! Your place could totally handle all 6 of us, right???? :0)