Friday, March 25, 2011

My Top Five

I'm a ball of emotions.  Could be because we are relocating our family in less than two weeks, albeit back "home", but it's still a total change to life as we know it, not to mention that we have no job lined up...and I absolutely, positively HATE good-bye's.  It's a big leap, I know we'll make it through- but at the moment I could cry over the fact that the fire hydrant is painted yellow instead of red like I think it should be. 

Anyway, the first thing people ask after hearing that we're moving (well, after asking if Robby has a job) is what I'm going to miss most about Hawaii.  So, here it is- my top 5 in no particular order, because that's entirely too emotional of a task at the moment.

  • US.  Yes, we're moving as a family- we're not leaving Sydney behind or anything, but living away from all friends and family (minus the irreplaceable ones we've found here) has allowed us to weave together in a way that I don't think we could have done had we never left.  In a silly way I'm afraid of losing the quality time, the free weekends and the simplicity of Robby, Megan and Sydney.  Of course I'm anxious to get back to the loved ones who are patiently waiting to greet us with open arms- but if we're being honest here then that's something I'm going to miss...it's a hard thing to explain, so I suppose that's just how it is.

  • Weather.  Duh.  I am positive that once all the holidays are over and January rears it's ugly head I'll be asking my husband what we've done.  So my goal?  Keep a positive attitude- tape the space heater to my butt and pretend that I LOVE TO BE COLD.  It might work, right?

  • Diversity.  I love that on most days, I can be the only white person eating at a restaurant or shopping at Don Quiote.  I love the liberal acceptance of people in all shapes, sizes and color in this city. I love how living in a melting pot has given me a new appreciation for people, their actions, attitudes and journeys...has allowed me to better accept people for who they are regardless of if I agree with their lifestyle and beliefs.

  • Laura.  How do I even put words to this girl?  I remember the first night we met at our Bradley class...I told Robby on the drive home that we were going to be good friends, that she was going to be my SAH (stay at home) Mom friend and that our kids were going to like each other, gosh darnit!  Besides my husband, she's been my #1 support...mostly because she was right there going through the EXACT same thing- sharing in my daily battles as a new Mom, my tears, my excitement, my doubts, etc.  She has been there since day one offering a friendship with no strings attached- just an honest, open, tell-it-how-it-is, accept you for how you are, make you laugh your arse off friendship.  She's a strong willed woman who has taught me a lot about protecting what you want, loving what you have and enjoying the ride.  I have a lot of wonderful friends in Idaho.  There's no Laura, and I'm going to miss the hell out of her.  Period.

  • Memories.  I think one of the hardest parts of this move is knowing that we're leaving a little piece of us behind.  Hawaii was meant to be a one year break from real life- and instead it turned into so much more.  We've made a home here- we have spent 75% of our married life here.  We've started a family here.  Hawaii will always be that for me- the place where we cemented our marriage, started a family and enjoyed a fresh start in a completely new place.  There's a billion memories bottled into the 3 1/2 years- and we all know memories are often relived when you see the place you had the memory.  Take for example when we walk by the Wall in Waikiki.  We body boarded there a billion times.  We watched movies on the beach there.  We sat in the sun, got burnt and then sat some more.  And with all those memories- the one I still think about every single time I walk by is from before we moved here.  We were vacationing here, planning our move, and had grabbed a Kimo Bean coffee and headed to the beach.  I still remember what the Waikiki skyline looked like and thinking outloud- "Is this real?  Are we really gonna live here?"  All that little-girl excitement is still on the beach.  Here's the hard part- I get choked up thinking that I won't be able to walk by that beach and feel that memory any longer.  I know we'll be able to visit again someday- but it's not the same.  In a weird way I feel like someone is dying because I won't be able to "remember" the little things anymore. 
So there you have it.  More than just a list of what I'll miss.  Did you want to charge me for the session?

4 comments:

Christine Ellis said...

Amen Sister! The last on your list is my life exactly. I can't stand the thought of leaving the place were Cooper was born and possibly never returning. Cherish these last few memories;)

Linda said...

You'll never forget the beautiful memories that you've created...you will always have them! I hope that you'll continue to maintain your blog; I've really enjoyed reading about your idealic beach adventures, the friendships that you've formed, and the love that you have for your beautiful family. Take the word "good-bye" out of your vocabulary, girl ... your new word is "Aloha".

MOM XXOO said...

So that you know you aren't alone, but of course in no way to the degree that you are experiencing, I am mourning Hawaii already a bit myself. For years now I have said "I wish the kids would move home so I can vacation somewhere else" or "that's hopefully my last trip to Hawaii (because I knew you were trying to move home)" and now I realize with a bitter-sweet pill that this past December was my last trip for a very very long time. And when I do return, it won't be to an under 800 sf apartment, sleeping on a blow-up mattress on the lanai with the annoying sounds of the city keeping me awake, and the most wonderful hostess and cook on the planet taking care of our every need. I'm going to miss that. My memories will always be of packing the car with everything we could carry to go for a day to the north beach, or being greeted by a little girl waving to us in the mornings when we stuck our head out from around the curtain, or your dad saying naughty things under the fireworks at the Hilton. I have some great memories as well and I was only there about 55 days of those 3.5 years so I get the emotions you are experiencing Meg. Perhaps what you need to post next is "Your Top Five" things you look forward to in Idaho. Love you much and looking so forward to having you here. Your memories will never go away ... you'll just add to them and Laura can come visit!

Oma and Opa said...

Thank you, Megan, for sharing these very personal feelings with us. I really enjoyed your blog these years and we can hardly wait to see all of you, especially of course the little sunshine in your life who is walking by now, probably hesitating to meet us "strangers". There is a German folk song called "the thoughts are fre, nobody can restrict (or hold them captive)". Within a moment you can be in Hawaii or anyplace else. It is not quite the same as being ther in person, but the times and friendships you experienced there will make you happy for a very looong time!
See you soon!!!!