Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Messy Day at Gramma's

Sydney LOVES her...and how can you blame her?  I don't let her scoop pecan tart filling by herself.  I don't let her carry around a bowl full of frozen blueberries.  I don't make edible play dough TWICE just so that she can put it in her mouth repeatedly and then grow tired of the entire project 3 minutes later....but Gramma does.

We had a play day at Gramma's last week...and the giggles were contagious.  First off, we initially went to help Mom make 4 dozen pecan tarts for a Christmas party exchange.  Long story short, when 2 two year olds help you fill the tarts, you then have 4 dozen pecan tarts that you will be eating by yourself because you wouldn't dream of giving them away.  (Score for us!)  While helping fill the tarts, I asked MJ and Syd to smile at me.  MJ looked at me seriously and replied "no."  So I turned it around and started saying "MJ!  Don't you smile at me!  Don't you do it!!!"  That's all it took to get huge grins out of him- although he kept smiling with his mouth closed, as if it was a sneaky way to do it.  Syd just thought it was all down right silly and kept throwing me smiles left and right. I know one day I'm going to painfully miss the sweet innocence of them.
The "non-smile".



I'm pretty sure Gramma was trying hard not to wet herself here.


Gorgeous work, right?
















 After the second batch of play dough came out correctly, MJ and Gramma were making a dinosaur.  Granny Jo Jo asked if MJ could say "dinosaur or stegosaurus" to which he replied...."no."  So I did it again- "Don't you say dinosaur, MJ!  Don't you say stegosaurus!"  And then?  We were dinosaur and stegosaurus talking all over the place. Play dough lasted longer for MJ as he's used to the regular stuff.  Sydney has no patience for shaping dough or making it look like animals...she just wanted to eat nuts. 


A blueberry stained smile.




















After all this mess, Gramma took them to read a book while Danielle and I, pregnant and all, slaved away in the kitchen to get it all sparkly clean again.  (Hee hee...you know I'm teasing!)

















Thanks Gramma, for letting our little loves make a mess in your heart. 

3 comments:

MOM XXOO said...

JOY RISING! That's what Oprah calls it and I understand the meaning of those two little words. So cute Megan, thank you for such a sweet post. It made the giggles come back again. The tarts are gone ... as of yesterday. Two days to polish off 4 dozen ... not bad (ho, ho, ho). I TRIED to tell you to walk away from the kitchen (but of course I was just teasing).

Unknown said...

Eeee! So fun, and those tarts DID look good! Now I am hungry :)

Dad said...

I wish we could all smile that easily. Love My kids and grandkids more.