Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lighting Up My Life

I am so in love with this little girl:

Note:  This post is going to sound like I'm an obsessed Mommy who thinks she has the sweetest two year old.  Well, I suppose it will sound like that because that's how I really do feel...and I'm feeling sentimental.  There, so read on if you still wanna!

Robby said again last night for what seems like the 3rd time this week, "Wow, she's growing up and comprehending things so much better lately."  I had just told him a story about the day- she was curiously looking at a bumble bee (we've randomly found 3 dead ones outside of the gym, so that's the new 'thing' to look for when we go) and as she was studying it, asking me if she could touch it, kick it, pick it up, etc...I thought to myself- "Damn, Megan.  You are one lucky lady to have this sweet, innocent child as your daughter."  So, I picked her up and asked her to look into my eyes.  When she did, I told her that I loved her.  She looked at me a second and responded "A LOT."  That's right, little girl- A LOT.

We sat down at the dinner table last night and I'd made a family favorite...Turkey & Basmati Rice Pilaf.  Sydney took 2 bites, looked up and said "Mommy made a yummy dinner!"  How's that for a compliment??? 

Last week we had french dip sandwiches for dinner.  After dinner, Sydney and Robby had a conversation.  It went like this:

"Daddy, I ate all my chicken.  I have candy?"
"We didn't have chicken."
"Daddy, I ate all my ham.  I have candy?"
"We didn't have ham."
(Pondering look, sigh.) "Daddy, I ate all my turkey.  I have candy?"
"We didn't have turkey for dinner, we had beef."
(Nodding) "Daddy, I ate all my beef.  I have candy?"

Much to her attempts at getting candy, she was denied.  It seems lately like every time she finished breakfast, lunch or dinner that she thinks she is privy to crackers, candy, ice cream or something else sweet.  So far, it's been a hard thing to learn that just because you eat all your meal doesn't mean you get a treat...unless you are pregnant Mommy, of course...hmmmm, I better work on that.

We play babies all the time now- it's the most desired game to play.  She'll constantly ask - "Wanna play babies 2 minutes after dinner?  Wanna play babies 2 minutes before nap?  Wanna play babies, Mommy?"  I mean, seriously- how can you turn down an invitation like that?  She owns two babies and I'm NEVER privy to her favorite one.  Even if I try to play with it, it is quickly replaced by the 'other baby' as she calls it.  We take the babies in the stroller and car seat and go to the bagel shop, the park and the grocery store.  Her baby is always sleeping with a blanket placed strategically over the face (I feel like I'm going to have to pay close attention to that with a newborn around!) and always has her pacifier in.  My baby (according to her) is ALWAYS crying.  "Mommy!  You're baby is crying!"  "My baby is sleeping in the car seat.  All day long."  Recently we found some newborn clothes and newborn diapers that fit them just right along with all of Sydney's newborn socks and her early toys- rattles, car seat danglers, etc.  It's been fun to sift through all of it.  We also found the Baby Bjorn, and while it's a little big, she'll sport it around for awhile!




















She's very aware of me getting hurt.  If I say 'ouch' at any given time- the baby kicking me, stubbing my toe, hitting my elbow- she'll immediately stop what she's doing, look at me and say "You hurt?  I'll kiss it." and then the kiss that follows is the most tender, sweet kiss I think I've ever received.  A glow of pride lights up her face when I tell her how much better I feel because of her kisses.  I was taking a minute at the dinner table to rub my eyes and face- feeling exhausted from the day.  She observed and then said- "You not feeling real good, Mommy?  You rubbing your eyes?"  There are some phases/stages that I just never want to end...this is one of them.

Speaking of stages that we can end- this little girl is sneeeeeeaaaaakkkkky.  She will quickly snap something up only to run and hide - lotion, toothpaste, makeup, etc.  My favorite part about this annoying little game?  She's smart enough to know to hide, yet innocent enough not to know to lie about it.  If you ask her what she has she's respond honestly, which in my adult mind cracks me up...you run and hide from me with the toothpaste only to quickly respond "I'm playing with toothpaste!" when I ask.  Love it.

She's a lover.  Not just to me and Daddy and those that she holds dear to her- but people she doesn't know and the friends that she has.  First off, don't get me started on how completely obsessed she is with MJ.  The squeals, smiles, giggles, and "Sydney laughs" that are associated with the arrival or greeting of MJ are priceless.  At the library this week, a little boy shook her hand.  She replied- "Little boy holding Sydney's hand, Mommy!"  and then she attempted to hold his hand during the remainder of story time.  Unfortunately for her, that wasn't his main priority.  Same goes for the two play dates she had this week with different friends.  Both of them denied her hand holding offer.  At the gym the other day the daycare lady told me when I picked her up that she was trying to hold Keeton's hand.  She sometimes brushes it off, but other times is really bothered by the rejection ending in big alligator tears and telling me that she wants to hold so & so's hand.  I know she isn't completely aware of it, but it makes me sad in a Mommy kind of way...like all she needs to make her moment is to hold that persons hand, and no matter how bad I want her to have that happy moment, it's not up to me.  I'll tell you what- she ever has a boyfriend that doesn't want to hold her hand and she better leave him on the curb!!!

Well, that's enough for one day.  See you later alligator, got to boogie, oh-yeah.

3 comments:

Mom XXOO said...

This post just makes my heart sing. I was adding photos to my photo album last night and I turned to your dad and said "this little girl just makes me smile," She just has so much love and wears her emotions all over her sleeve. She has such a big smile and still that logical thinking that I saw in her the first time we met. Last time she took the chapstick in our bedroom, she hid down behind dad's clothes hanging there. I said "Sydney, I know you have the chapstick -- you don't have to hide from me. It's ok that you have it." She popped right up and looked so surprised. It's an interesting trait of hers. I'll be curious to see where that goes. Love you guys! Mom

Unknown said...

Great post Megs! Hearing about your sweet relationship with Syd just melts me. Keep em comin!

Dad said...

Wow, that little girl reminds me of another little girl about 28 yrs. ago. SWEEEEEEEET. Love you more!!!!! Dad