Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Simple Smiles

This post really should be called "Lessons in Anatomy". 

Do you have any idea how awkward it is to have Sydney holler out "does that man have a pee-pee?" in the middle of the toothpaste aisle at the grocery store?  And then- when I don't respond immediately she only elevates her voice and asks 3 more times until I finally give in with my usual answer- "Yes, all men have pee-pee's."  Thank GOD she isn't using the term penis- that would be even more uncomfortable.

She's very well aware of the difference and will randomly remind me that "Boy's have pee-pee's, girls have vagina's."  Yes- my daughter will be educating your kid in Kindergarten (or before if she has the chance) so I'm warning you now.  It's a hot topic for some reason and I even get asked if characters in books, her little girls, baby dolls, animals have said pee-pee's. 

It's hard not to cover the topic as she's seen her little cousin's naked, and well- she does have a Daddy.  She's an inquisitive little girl that won't be ignored...she wants answers...and we've decided to be straight forward instead of giving them pet names or ignoring the fact that men and women are different.  However, it's those awesome moments in the toothpaste aisle that I really wish we had decided differently.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Ah, excuse me, but last I thought about it, "pee pee" WAS a pet name, and you were just the same at her age ... only you DID say penis!

Your stories always give this Gramma a great big ol' smile. :-)