Monday, June 9, 2014

May

I love the month of May.  The weather has turned, everything is blooming, the garden grows and grows and the excitement and anticipation for summer is still ahead of you. The windows can be rolled down, the slides aren't too hot at the park, the evenings are amazingly beautiful and people are just in a good mood because their hands are busy in dirt, and I that's therapeutic.  There's really not much to love, unless you're an allergy prone person like my dearest husband, and then you probably don't love May.  But I do.

I feel like we packed it all in this month- so much going on and now it's come and gone just like everything does these days.  But while it was coming and going, I managed to snap a few shots of the fun times in-between.

 For starters, my talented Mom offered to a do a family photo shoot when Simone turned two, but too busy with travels and a lack of outfit planning enthusiasm, I found adorable matching dresses for the girls and we just took pics of them.  I try not to take for granted the fact that Gramma is a photographer and therefore we have more beautifully taken and edited pictures of us then we'll ever need...but I am human, so I usually do.  Thanks, Mom for being so generous with your time and your talent and always being so willing to snap a shot.
Our new toothless smile.

Just being two.



You can't fake that kind of a smile, people.  That's genuine "I love my sister" smiles.



 
What did I ever do before we had a garden?  I LOVE MY GARDEN!!! 



Sydney told Daddy one random day that she'd like a new bike.  He quickly responded; "Well, then you'll have to earn it."  We set up a chore chart that lasted 19 days...she had to make her bed daily, clean her room, bring her dishes from all meals up to the sink, water plants, mow the lawn (yes, she actually does...with Daddy's help of course!).  She stayed motivated and on the few occasions she didn't want to do a chore, I non-emotionally told her that it was her decision, but that if she didn't do her chore, she wouldn't be able to mark the chore chart off, and that was fine...but that just meant it would be longer before it was completed, and then longer until she could get a bike.  That's all it took- putting the decision in her hands but letting her know the consequences.  Maybe, just maybe I'm starting to figure this little 4 1/2 year old out.   It was a sweet morning getting to drive to the bike shop, pick out a bike, a bell and a water bottle.  We went with a 20" bike, which is "normally" meant for 6-8 year olds, but because of our height genes, we needed it now.  I told her we weren't going to put training wheels on it.  Her and daddy took that bike around the block 3 times and then boom- she had it all figured out.  Proud of this little girl and the determination she has.  She's not a quitter, and I hope that trait continues.
Waiting for the bike to get the bell and bottle attached.

Her completed chore chart!

Whoot whoot!!!
 
Mama also got a new toy (although I didn't have a chore chart to complete, ha!)  We finally (FINALLY) bit adieu to the Honda Accord and bought ourselves a 2011 Toyota Sienna XLE.  I swore up and down and sideways that I would never be a van owner, and well now look at me...all in love with the sliding doors and the captain chairs and all that room.  I ordered personalized plates that read "I CAVED". 
 
Another big moment this month: Sydney completed her first year of Preschool!!!  I can honestly say she enjoyed every. single. day.  There was never a day she was excited to leave and go home, never a day she complained about not wanting to go, and never a day when we didn't have school that she didn't ask me if that day was a school day.  She met some adorable friends that we'll definitely stay in touch with, and absolutely adored her two teachers.  Her favorite part was all the arts/crafts they got to do, free time with friends and the countless songs she learned.  It was a wonderful first year for me as I met so many great Mom's, and was of course happy to see Sydney enjoy it so much.  She can't wait for next year...but I can...it went so quickly!
First day of school 9/2013

Last day, Miss Meg and Miss Ashley.

Last day of school 5/2014
Ooh- another first came this month!  Sydney had her first cavity, and YES I took that personally!!!  The doctor reassured me that it was b/c I wasn't flossing and her back molars are incredibly close...but really, that was probably just sugar coating it.  It's been a good excuse to not have as much sugar in our diet.  It was such a cool process to watch- so much different then they do adult cavities...and seriously, why don't I get nitrous oxide?!?  She did great and definitely chewed her lip into hamburger before the anesthetic wore off and she could feel it again.  When she first got numb she kept asking the dentist why her tongue and cheek felt so "funny" and "big". 
 
 
The rest of the month was spent having fun with awesome friends, enjoying the parks, going to the Saturday Market, the horse races, and just being kids.


We're obsessed with rollie pollies.  As in we search for them daily, put them in a bug catcher box and then when they are dead the next morning we start over.


BUBBLES!!!




Market with our besties, Nat and Charlotte.

Singing "Let it go" a cappella.

My good friend Christine (of 17 years!!!) turned 32, so we all went on the Boise Cycle Pub.  SO. MUCH. FUN.

Reading books with Charlotte.

Playdate craft.  Jellyfish...obviously.

Look!  We can carpool now as we can fit EIGHT people!!!  Syd was so excited to not only be in the back of the van, but to have Nat right there with her to sing all of the Frozen songs.


We basically went to the Les Bois horse races so we could feed kids the entire time and then leave.  ;)

Mother's Day!  The ONLY picture I got from Mother's Day!!!  At night when we do prayers and songs as a family before bed it's always a fight over who gets to lay next to Mommy.  That's not annoying ever.

5 comments:

daddy said...

Here I thought that we didn't get anything done in the month of May. Thanks for posting the evidence and making me feel better about what we did!

MOM said...

I just loved that so much I read it twice! The pictures of the girls are adorable as always and let me tell you how impressed I was with your cauliflower. Wow! And Sydney's story of earning her bike was impressive -- as was her pretty new bike. Remember when you broke your leg on a bike in kindergarten? But you became such a cute Grand Marshall of the school rodeo because of it. I loved the rolly polly picture, and Simone's long skirt in the market picture. Nice job Meg!

The Higgs said...

I already love your family but this post makes me fall in love all over again. I AM SO BLASTING with excitement that I get to see these faces and get in on the always action going on at the Gerichs house.

PS. Loves Mone's skirt and Syd's braid.

Unknown said...

What I am digging;
The girl's matching dresses.
The girl's hair, both of them!
Your garden, wow!
All these blog posts. I almost feel like we've sat down and I've caught up on your life.

grandpa said...

Loved it all!!!