Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Kindergarten

After the busy of summer this family embarked on a whole new chapter in our lives.  Public Grade School.  Our little Sydney had a backpack, new polka dot shoes, and was ready to go.  She didn't say much either way about going- but I could tell that first day arriving with all of those kids swarming the playground, she was nervous.  I can't remember the last time I got hugs so big when I picked her up.  It was an interesting transition.  She left two really good friends at preschool because they weren't quite old enough for Kinder, and I think that was rough on her.  Making new friends is hard- especially when you are an observant, I want to stand and stare at you, semi-shy girl.  You couldn't PAY me to go back to the awkwardness that school unleashed.  She really enjoys her teacher, and with 25 kids in the class has made some new friends. 

She's excelling in the reading department and it's been such an awesome thing to watch.  Seeing the sound blends just click and watching her little brain say words without having to struggle through the sounds has been so cool.  I get the opportunity to volunteer every other Tuesday while Gramma has some alone time with Cole, and I love, love, love it.  Fun to see the faces that she talks about and watch the same "clicking" with other kids is exciting. 

Homework in general is an extremely frustrating thing for her- even if it really isn't hard.  She manifests it to be impossible in her mind and we've had many a 30-minute meltdown days.  Numbers were kicking her backside for a long time, and now that she's recognizing the patterns she's starting to enjoy them.  I'm usually the bad guy with her spouting off something to the tune of "You're just saying it's wrong because you don't like me and you don't want me to get it done."  To which I simply respond- "No, it's because 12 is not twenty."  Or, "the word "like" is not leekee."..."and now you may go sit in time out because you aren't allowed to be mean to me just because you find this difficult."  She is indeed a perfectionist and has no time for repetitive mistakes. 

It's been weird having her gone five days.  And in a lot of ways I didn't realize how much I relied on her help with Cole until she was gone and it was just him, myself and a 3 year old who doesn't respond to his cries, but instead tries to poke his nose, cheek, eye or forehead to see just what he'll do.  For the record, he hates it.  Every. Time. 




Yes, she is supposed to be in Kindergarten.  She just so happened to be standing next to the shortest 3 children in her class. She is by far the tallest in the class, but doesn't look quite so gigantic when they are all together. 



Mrs. Westcott















































Instead of back to school clothes shopping, Granny Jo Jo decided the girls needed to go "Back to School Toy Shopping".  She took them for an afternoon and they came home with whatever their little hearts desired while parousing the Fred Meyer aisles.  Oh, and popcorn and ice cream.  Dates with my 88 year old Grandma are special moments that come every now an again.  She's got an energy and love for my kids that is untouchable. 
Our first introduction to Legos...and we were HOOKED.




















What else....Ooh!  Sydney started soccer and loved every. single. minute. of the season.  Games were her favorite and I seriously think she smiled, pranced and jumped throughout the entire game.  She got better as time went on and asks us daily if we'll play with her.  She will play again in the spring and can hardly wait.  Hayden and Taylor from preschool were on her team, so that was an extra special treat. 














We have a van and a soccer player. Hmmmm....



















Granny Jo Jo finished Cole's quilt and I absolutely adore it.  She no doubt won an award at the fair for it, and I am smitten that all three kids have matching ones.  Like I said, she's a special lady.


















This little boy turned 3 months old, so we had a little photo fun at Gramma's house.  Boy does he have rolls upon rolls.  The Itsy Bitsy spider gets the hugest giggles out of him and his hands have found each other...and his mouth. 




Booby shot!


Getting so much stronger!


Since Sydney was the first to give Simone a bottle, I thought it fair that Simone give Cole his first bottle.  He appeased her for a few sips, but has never taken a liking to them.


Cousin Gavin- one week older.  These two are going to be trouble when they get older!

Bumbo giggles for big sister Sydney

























Castles and crowns made their way into Sydney's artwork this month.  And lots of work on perfecting hearts.


And this has to be one of my most favorite color jobs she's every done. 
They insist on scooting the beds together, and then Simone sleeps in an 8 inch crack.

Seriously, WHAT is better than a real tea party?



Simone's early drawings.  She is making people!  And writing her name!  And usually has a very detailed story to go with her artwork. 


3 comments:

Mom said...

Oh gosh, this is just too fun. I am at work (don't tell) and I busted out loud laughing when you were saying you missed Syd's help while she was at school and that Simone likes to poke Cole just to see what he would do. Funny stuff. And the write up about Granny Jo was so sweet and you got the BEST smile ever. Great job Meg.

Unknown said...

What a milestone Kindergarten is, especially for your first. I am not sure who figures it out first, the student or the parent?! ;)

Lucky Daddy said...

I don't think I can read anymore. I kept pinching myself through the entire post. Now I've got a welt the size of a grapefruit!